Beetle Mania

Monday, February 10, 2020

 

My six-year-old loves beetles, specifically the ones found in Animal Crossing. For Valentine's Day this year, I decided to draw a saw stag beetle for him. It was SO much fun to draw and paint that I started looking up different kinds of beetles, which was possibly a terrible idea because I am now obsessed with them. There are so many different types and they are all amazingly cool.  I keep meaning to get the ones I've done scanned in and up in my shop, but then I decide to paint just one more...  I'm now up to a collection of ten I think. Goliath, Rhinoceros, Stag, Tiger, Giant, Golden, Rainbow Stag, the list goes on!  And the possibilities are endless as there are so many different color variations in the beetles, not to mention the males and females look different within the same species. I could probably spend an obscene amount of time creating these, but at some point I must move on. 

I'm thinking of making a beetle pattern, something I need to improve my skills on anyway. I think they'll look really cool all crawling around together!  I'm excited to get it done, but it will take some time as scanning and editing is always more of a sluggish process than painting for me. Here's another process photo-
And check out my instagram for more! 
(I'm trying to be more active there and less active here as that's the way things are these days, right?)

Instagram